Saturday, September 20, 2014

Have you ever Canned?




There are a few things my Grandma did that I wanted to do. One of them was and is Cloth Diaper. My Grandma thought I was absolutely insane. She told me stories about having to hang cloth diapers out in Winter and how they "Freeze Dried." I think she literally said something like "Now, why would you do a thing like that?" I just chuckled.

Full Disclosure: My Grandma is my Hero. Her name is Betty, and she is perfect. 

So, today when I was talking to my Mom about all of the apples on her trees, and how I wanted to can some apple sauce - she told me how my Grandma used to have a pantry with ALL OF THE THINGS canned, and how it was beautiful: LIKE A WALL OF CANNED GLORY, I wiped the tears away from my eyes, and I said "I want to do that when I grow up." My Mom and Dad totally hooked it up, and bought me everything my canning heart could desire, so long as I gave them some of my apple sauce when I was done. 

 So, My little Family set out in the back yard, and we picked every single good apple we could, and then I started peeling them, by hand, with a potato peeler straight from the 1950's. My Mom tends to kick it pretty old school with her kitchen utensils. Someday, I will tell you about the vintage kitchen aid mixer that smoked when we used it, but today is not that day. I caught my knuckles a few times, but I did it. I peeled, quartered, and cored all of the apples we picked. 

I tossed them in the crockpot, poured about a 1 1/2 cups of water in there, and let it cook on high stirring every now and again. I boiled my jars, lids, and set up a little line with all of the canning things, and canned 4 pints of pure apple sauce. 

And, I am proud. 

I would be telling a white lie if I said that I enjoyed peeling all those apples by hand, because I kind of did, but doing it that way for the rest of the apple sauce I plan to make is going to be tough. I'm definitely going to be on the look out for an apple peeler. 

There is a part of me that longs for simpler living, and by simpler, I mean more involved. I like knowing where my food comes from. I like that my family literally watched the whole process and were involved from tree to table. It also gave me a sense of accomplishment. I can have my own wall of canned goodness, and all the feel goods that go with it!

If you haven't tried canning, you probably should!

-Syl



No comments:

Post a Comment